The main goal of marketing (Traditional Marketing or Content Marketing) has always been to drive consumers to take action.
In the past, companies and marketers have been doing this through print, television, and radio ads.
However, times have changed. Consumers are becoming smarter buyers and have more control over the ads they want to show.
While content marketing shares the same purpose as traditional marketing, it is more accurate.
Using valuable materials such as emails, social media posts, blogs, articles, and videos to inform, educate, and entertain, then you seek to attract customers rather than get into their faces.
Today, we will talk about Content Marketing Vs. Traditional Marketing and comparing them by presenting the pros and cons of each one.
Then you can decide which is better.
So, let’s start with Traditional Marketing:
What is traditional marketing?
It is an intermittent marketing strategy in which advertisements or promotions of products or services reach customers, whenever and wherever companies want to.
Traditional marketing uses content marketing in old forms; it can occur in printouts (magazine ads, billboards), broadcasts (TV ads, radio ads), and a large number of other ways (direct correspondence, telemarketing, etc.).
This strategy provides information to a broad audience – even when they are not necessarily required to see it.
1) As traditional marketing has been around for ages, different methods have proven successful over and over again, and previous traditional marketing campaigns can be used as a guide for future campaigns.
2) Many studies and analytics have been done on traditional marketing, so there is research to help you choose the best practices for different target markets.
3) Some traditional technologies reach a broad population because they do not target individuals, so potential customers are not ignored.
4) Conventional methods do not depend on potential customers who have access to a smart device or the Internet; anyone can see a billboard, watch TV, read a print ad, or listen to the radio, making access to traditional marketing more widely available. There are companies that help you promote, consider them.
1) Traditional advertising is not generally intended for individuals but is limited to groups or public areas. So, while the ad may reach a large number of people, not everyone who shows it will be interested.
2) Several traditional marketing methods, such as newspapers and magazines, are now used online, so few people read hard copies.
3) Traditional marketing is less useful for the younger population, especially the millennials. If the target market is smaller than about 30, it is better to use unconventional methods.
4) People can choose to skip or ignore traditional methods more efficiently, such as billboards, by merely not reading tags. Television, by fast-forwarding through commercials. Radio, and by radio changing station during the commercial break.
On the other side, we have Content Marketing:
What is content marketing?
Unlike traditional marketing, content marketing is a lenient marketing strategy.
It includes creating valuable content to educate and entertain potential customers to attract them.
It comes in a wide variation of formats, including blogs, Videos, Infographics, Email Marketing, Case studies, and eBooks.
Content marketing enables you to deliver more value to your possible customers and make them recognize your brand so that you can turn them into paying customers.
So, content marketing is the core technique for any Marketing Funnel.
Besides, we can say that content marketing is the science of communicating with your target audience without selling.
1) Content marketing drives conversions:
One of the essential advantages of content marketing is that it helps your company achieve more conversions over time.
New Researches show how companies that create consistent content for their experience have conversion rates nearly six times higher than their competitors who are not focused on content marketing.
It indicates that relative and high-quality content marketing often requires a significant investment of time, money, and resources, and ultimately it pays off with more conversions.
2) Useful content will bring more traffic to your site:
Posting consistent, attractive, and helpful blog posts can help drive more traffic to your site over time.
Businesses that wrote more than 15 blog posts per month got about 3.6 times more traffic than those that posted five or fewer posts.
If you want to improve your site traffic, post high-quality blog content often on a more consistent schedule.
3) Build brand awareness with useful content that attracts target buyers:
Let’s face it. Some customers are perfectly suitable for your products or services but have not yet had the opportunity to recognize your brand.
By creating useful content that provides value to your target buyers, you can work to engage these potential customers and help in building awareness of your brand.
4) Your company can use high-quality content to educate your customers:
Your clients and potential customers face a problem that your brand can solve.
How to educate them about their challenges and your dreams?
It is by providing them with engaging content.
Make sure to develop content topics about the most significant pain points for your customers to help them better understand the steps they need to solve their problems.
5) The content can help you build confidence with your target audience:
The more you educate and appreciate your target audience, the more confidence you can achieve.
Through informing and educating your target audience about challenges and pain points through blogs and other types of content, you start building a relationship with customers and building trust based on the value of your content providers.
In order to get more successful results, you can use this guide, The Beginner’s Guide To Content Marketing.
1) Maybe you can’t do it on your own:
You will probably need some help creating high-quality content for your site.
Quality content takes a while to develop, but it also makes specific technical knowledge, and the learning curve for content marketing is very high.
If you do not have the appropriate SEO skills and experience, effective content marketing may prove to be a challenge for you.
2) Content ideas can be challenging to find:
If you are not experienced in creating a content strategy, it can be challenging to find new content ideas.
Have you ever thought of how to do keyword research to find out what kind of content people are searching for?
If not, it is in your best interest to hire a professional marketing team to come up with content ideas for you.
For more ideas, you can read How to Build a Content Marketing Strategy.
3) It can be hard to measure:
While measuring the outcomes of content marketing is very simpler than measuring the effects of TV advertising, it is still not in the park.
If you don’t have a process in place to set standards, track your results, and analyze your data, you’ll find it hard to understand which strategies are working for you and which are not.
For further information and help, you can read 5 Content Marketing Tools You Should Try Out In 2020.
4) It changes quickly:
New trends, technologies, and even changes to the Google algorithm always influence best content marketing practices.
If you can’t devote enough time to keep up with these developments, you’ll struggle to maintain your competitive edge and relevant to your audience.
It may take some time for results to appear.
5) Content marketing isn’t a fast fix:
It is a long-term plan that can take three to nine months to start achieving a continuous flow of traffic and profits.
If you are looking for a rapid rise in traffic, content marketing is not for you.
For a deeper understanding, you van read When Can You Expect Your Content Marketing Efforts to Bear Fruit?
If you are considering a marketing strategy to incorporate it into your business, content marketing is the right way.
It is cheaper, more productive, and easier to achieve than traditional methods.
Additionally, we can say that content marketing wins according to their advantages and pros in this new digital age.
However, this does not mean that we should get rid of traditional marketing efforts.
Market experts now believe that only the best marketers can integrate both content marketing methods and traditional marketing methods.
Eventually, time is moving on, and humanity is evolving, so we must keep up with the changes.